The rates of unbanked populations in Hawaii are among the lowest but there are still nearly 20 percent of the population that are either unbanked or underbanked, according to a 2017 survey by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
That means tens of thousands households in Hawaii are without a bank account.
Many times the only alternative is prepaid debit cards, cash checking services, and pay day loans. There is a real cost to being unbanked in Hawaii. Hefty fees add up in the long run.
If you are living without a banking relationship, check out our list of second chance checking accounts in Hawaii. Many second chance bank accounts run a ChexSystems report.
Hawaii Second Chance Banks and Credit Unions
Upgrade Rewards Checking
The Upgrade Rewards Checking Account offers up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses at grocery and drug stores, gas stations, monthly subscriptions, restaurants, and cell phone utilities. Plus, account holders get unlimited 1% cash back on all other debit card charges. This account takes less than 10 minutes to open, the process is simple and easy.
Upgrade Rewards Checking Features
- No ATM fee.
- Zero Monthly Fees.
- Zero Overdraft/Insufficient Fees.
- 2% cash back on common everyday expenses and recurring payments and unlimited 1% cash back on every other debit card charge.
- use your Rewards Checking card wherever Visa® is accepted.
- FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
Rewards Checking is offered by Upgrade Inc, a nonbank financial services provider founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, CA. It is made possible by a bank partnership with Cross River Bank, Member FDIC. Upgrade VISA ® Debit Cards issued by Cross River Bank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Rewards Checking is available in 50 states (and Washington, DC).
Current Checking Account
The Current Checking Account can be opened with a minimum of $10 with a debit card or an existing checking account.
Current Account Features
- $10 minimum opening deposit.
- Savings feature that pays 4.00% APY on balances up to $6,000.
- No overdraft fees when you overdraw by up to $200 with Overdrive™.
- Get your paycheck up to 2 days early with direct deposit.
- Earn points for unlimited cashback at participating retailers.
- Gas station holds immediately credited to your account.
- Send money instantly for free.
- 24/7 member support.
OneUnited Bank’s Online Checking Account is available to people in ALL STATES. We like OneUnited Bank because customers can add cash to the OneUnited Bank Debit Card at over 90,000 locations across the country through a partnership with Green Dot®.
OneUnited Bank offers the Black Wall Street Checking account with no monthly fee. However, if you don’t qualify, they offer the U2 E-Checking Account specifically designed for bad credit.
To get started go to the “Get the Card” button, enter your name, email address and cell phone number. Choose the Black Wall Street Checking account option along with the opening deposit ($25.00 minimum), then complete your identification details (name, address, SSN, and employer).
Black Wall Street Checking Account Features
- Minimum opening deposit of $25 (can be funded with a credit card).
- No monthly fee.
- Get paid up to 2 days early with early direct deposit.
- Free Online & Mobile Banking.
- Obtain Cash, Surcharge Free at Over 35,000 ATMs Nationwide.
- Deposit checks through the mobile app.
- Free Bill Pay
- OneUnited also offers a secured credit card that reports to the major credit bureaus.
CU Hawaii Federal Credit Union does not use ChexSystems, they use Telecheck to verify new accounts. They offer a free checking account with no minimum balance and no monthly fee and overdraft protection is available.
Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union does not use ChexSystems, they use Unicheck to open new accounts. Hawaii Community offers a variety of checking account products.
Kauai Community Federal Credit Union does not use ChexSystems, they use Telecheck to open new accounts. They offer a variety of checking account products.
Any eligible members can open a savings account. For a checking they use Chexsystems and Unicheck to open new accounts.
The Rewards Card Checking offers deposit of payroll or government benefit with a monthly fee of $4.95 and $7.95 per month without direct deposit, you’ll receive a checkbook and Mastercard® debit card with no overdraft fees or ATM fees! Free nationwide ATM access at over 55,000 Allpoint®.