Compare the top cash back checking accounts that let your money work for you.
Cash back checking accounts offer a built-in discount on everyday items as well as big-ticket items you purchase. It’s worth banking with a financial institution that offers a little extra incentive.
You may as well benefit from your banking choice.
Top 5 Cash Back Checking Accounts
1. Axos Bank – Up to 1% Cash Back on Signature-based Purchases
The Cashback Checking Account at Axos Bank offers 1% cash back on eligible debit card purchases.
How to earn cash back
- Earn up to 1.00% cash back on signature-based transaction purchases.
- Earn up to $2,000.00 per month in cash back on your signature-based transactions.
- Maintain a $1,500.00 average daily collected balance to earn 1.00% cash back on signature-based transaction purchases. If your average daily collected balance falls below $1,500 you will earn .50% in cash back for the month.
More CashBack Checking Features
- Minimum Balance Required to Open the Account: $50.00.
- Earn up to 1.00% cash back on signature-based purchases.
- Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursement.
- No monthly maintenance fees.
- Activate, deactivate, or reactivate your debit card – all from your banking dashboard.
- Unlimited check writing privileges.
- FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
2. Sable Banking – 1% Cash Back on eligible purchases
The Sable Debit reward program offers 1% cash back on Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Uber, Uber Eats, Spotify, and Whole Foods.
How to earn cash back
- Get 1% Cash back on ALL eligible spend at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, and Whole Foods.
- Annual cash back rewards are limited to applicable spend up to $20,000 a year.
- Cash back balances may be redeemed for cash back and applied as credit to your Sable Bank Account balance.
More Sable Debit Reward Features
- Open your account with as little as $25.00
- Get a dollar-for-dollar match on all cash back at the end of your first year with Sable’s Double Cash Bonus.
- Earn 1% cash back on everyday purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more!
- No credit check or US credit history required and no SSN required for non US citizens.
- Open a restricted account before you step foot in the U.S or have a U.S address.
- Zero hidden fees—no annual fees, no additional ATM fees, no overdraft fees, no card replacement fees, and no minimum deposit.
- Premium benefits like extended warranty where Sable will double the warranty for eligible items purchased with your Sable card, and satisfaction guarantee where Sable will cover most purchases if you become dissatisfied with a new product within 60 days of purchase, and much more!
3. SoFi Bank – up to 15% Cash Back
The SoFi Checking Account offers up to 15% cash back at local establishments when you pay with your SoFi debit card. SoFi Checking and Savings combined is currently offering 1.25% APY on all balances if you set up direct deposit. Without direct deposit, members earn 0.70% APY.
$25 Welcome Bonus. Earn a $25 Welcome Bonus when you open your account with at least $10 from an existing Visa or Mastercard Debit Card.
Additional Bonus up to $300. Earn an additional bonus up to $300 for setting up a qualifying direct deposit from an employer, payroll, retirement pension, or benefits provider like state unemployment via ACH deposit.
Here’s how to earn the additional bonus (A member may only qualify for one bonus tier):
- To earn the $50 bonus tier you must set up a qualifying direct deposit of $1000 – $1,999
- To earn the $100 bonus tier you must set up a qualifying direct deposit of $ 2,000 – $4,999
- To earn the $300 bonus tier you must set up a qualifying direct deposit of $5,000 or more
SoFi Checking Account Features
- No minimum deposit to open an account.
- 1.25% APY with direct deposit. Without direct deposit earn 0.70% APY.
- 2-day-early-paycheck automatically when you set up direct deposit.
- Save your change automatically with Roundups and set savings goals with Vaults.
- Get up to 15% cash back at local establishments.
- No foreign transaction fees.
4. Upgrade Banking – Unlimited Cash Back on Debit Charges
The Upgrade Rewards Checking Account offers up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses.
How to earn 2% cash back
- Convenience, grocery, and drug stores – Merchant examples: CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid.
- Gas stations – Merchant examples: Shell, Chevron, ExxonMobile, Speedway.
- Monthly subscriptions – Merchant examples: Netflix, SiriusXM, Spotify, DisneyPlus.
- Restaurants – Merchant examples: McDonalds, UberEats, Chipotle, Starbucks.
- Utilities, phone – Merchant examples: AT&T, Tmobile, VerizonWireless, Cricket Wireless.
Unlimited 1% cash back on all other debit card charges
More Upgrade Rewards Checking Features
- No ATM fee.
- Zero Monthly Fees.
- Zero Overdraft/Insufficient Fees.
- 2% cash back on common everyday expenses and recurring payments and unlimited 1% cash back on every other debit card charge.
- use your Rewards Checking card wherever Visa® is accepted.
- FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
Rewards Checking is offered by Upgrade Inc, a nonbank financial services provider founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, CA. It is made possible by a bank partnership with Cross River Bank, Member FDIC. Upgrade VISA ® Debit Cards issued by Cross River Bank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Rewards Checking is available in 50 states (and Washington, DC).
How does a cash back checking account work?
Cash back checking accounts allow you to earn cash money for purchases made with your debit card. You redeem the cash back by putting it back into your checking account, transferring it to a savings account or you can withdraw the cash for whatever you like.
Some banks offer unlimited cash back earnings while others may limit the amount of cash back up to $3,000 in debit card purchases each month.
How much can I earn with a cash back checking account?
With a cash back checking account you earn a percentage on debit card purchases. Some banks offer unlimited cash back earnings while other banks will cap the amount you can earn to the first $3,000 you spend each month.
Having the ability to earn cash back is a nice incentive to open a free checking account online.