Customized debit cards allow you to express yourself and put your creativity on display. But not all banks offer personalized debit cards.
As a sports fan, a supporter of a special cause, art lover, or alumnus, you don’t have to miss out on a personalized debit card.
A prepaid debit card issuer offers a good option for a customized debit card if your bank does not offer them. Prepaid debit cards let you spend the money you load onto the card. You can load money onto a prepaid debit card in several different ways:
- Load money onto the card via cash
- Mobile deposit checks
- Direct deposit from an employer or benefits like SSI or retirement
- Transfer from a bank account
Here are a few ways to get a customized debit card that says something about you.
Card.com offers multiple debit card design categories
1. CARD.com Account – $50 Bonus
Card.com is a Prepaid Visa issued by Bancorp Bank. With direct deposit, you can get paid up to 2 days early. Loading cash is easy with Reload at the Register. Just bring your card and cash directly to the register at over 90,000 participating retail locations.
This account accommodates people with bad credit because there is no credit check or ChexSystems to open.
Get a $50 Bonus when you sign-up for direct deposit with a $200 deposit or more of a payroll check or federal benefits within 60 days of account opening.
Card.com Account Features
- Minimum opening deposit $0.
- Get paid up to 2 days early with direct deposit.
- No monthly fee with direct deposit of $1,000.
- 32,000 Fee-Free MoneyPass® ATMs.
- Load cash at 7-Eleven, Western Union, Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar General, Rite Aid, Ralphs, Krogers, and many other participating retailers.
- Transfer funds from a virtual wallet such as PayPal or Google Wallet.
- No overdraft or non-sufficient funds fee.
- Stay up-to-date with Rapid Text Alerts.
Custom debit card designs include:
- Animals & Nature
- Art & Fashion
- Automotive & Sports
- Caring & Awareness
- Cartoon & Comics
- Cute & Colorful
- Emoji & Memes
- Famous People
- Fantasy & Sci-Fi
- Flags & Cities
- Food & Drink
- Goth & Alternative
- Music & Bands
- Schools & Colleges
- Science & Technology
- TV & Movies
- Video Games & Apps
2. Acorns Spend Account – $10 Bonus
The Acorns Spend Account is the first checking account with a debit card that saves, invests, and earns for you. The Visa debit card is made with an impressive tungsten metal with a matte green finish and your signature custom-engraved. It’s truly a one-of-a-kind design you’ll won’t see everywhere.
Acorns Checking Account Features
- $5 minimum opening deposit.
- No overdraft fees.
- Unlimited free or fee-reimbursed ATM withdrawals nationwide.
- Rounds up purchases made with your debit card and invests the spare change.
- Digital direct deposit and mobile check deposit and check sending.
- Free bank-to-bank transfers.
- Automated bill pay.
- FDIC-protected checking account up to $250,000 plus fraud protection.
3. Netspend Prepaid Debit Card
Netspend offers a personalized prepaid debit card when you open an account. Netspend lets you do banking your way with a choice between Netspend Visa Prepaid Card or a Netspend Prepaid Mastercard.
Customize your Netspend Card with a unique image or a photo of you to express your personality.
Netspend Prepaid Debit Card Perks
- When you Direct Deposit to your Netspend Card, you can get your paycheck up to 2 days faster.
- Mobile deposit checks to your card.
- Load your card at grocery stores, gas stations, check cashers, and convenience stores all over the country.
- Receive text alerts about transactions so you are the first to know when something hits.
4. Control™ Prepaid Mastercard®
The Control Prepaid Mastercard lets customers use their favorite photo to create a unique Control Card.
Plus, customers can earn rewards when they use the Control card to pay for select purchases from their favorite places.
Control Prepaid Mastercard Account Perks
- Enroll in Direct Deposit and get your money up to two days faster.
- Overdraw your account by $10 or less and your card will cover the negative balance and deduct it from your account next time you load funds.
- Optional savings account that earns 5% APY on the first $1,000 in your account and 0.5% on balances of $1,000 or more.
- The monthly fee is $7.95 or $5 if you have a monthly direct deposit of $500 or more.
How prepaid debit cards work
If you choose a custom prepaid debit card here is what you should know:
Must load money onto the card: A prepaid card is a standalone financial product that you load with money. There are several ways to load money on a prepaid debit card:
- Set-up direct deposit from your employer, government or retirement benefits, or other regular payment to be directly deposited onto the card.
- Transfer money from a checking account or another prepaid card.
- Buy a “reload pack” to add a certain amount to your card.
- Add funds at certain retail locations or at the financial institution that provides the card.
Watch-out for fees. Prepaid debit card issuers make money with customer fees. Watch-out for exorbitant fees but you can expect some typical fees such as:
- Monthly fees (You may be able to avoid this fee by setting up direct deposit)
- Fees to withdraw cash at an automated teller machine (ATM)
- A fee for not using the card
- Activation fees
Prepaid cards have some protections. Prepaid cards in a payment network such as Visa or Mastercard might enjoy zero liability protections. Additionally, in 2019 the Consumer Financial Protection Bureaus enacted a rule which gives prepaid accounts federal protections that already exist for checking accounts and credit cards. It also provides greater protection from loss, theft or incorrect charges, according to CFPB.
Prepaid cards can help you stay on budget. Most prepaid cards won’t allow you to spend more than the balance in your prepaid account. In a way prepaid cards force you to stay on budget, you can’t spend more money than you have on your card.
Using a prepaid card as a budgeting tool is a good idea because it helps keep track of your money. You can avoid checking account overdraft fees and credit card over-limit fees by using a prepaid debit card.