As of 2022, Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the world, with total assets of approximately $3.05 trillion USD. Bank of America serves approximately 68 million consumer and small business clients.
But if you've been blacklisted by ChexSystems Bank of America may not be the best place to open a new checking account.
Does Bank of America use ChexSystems?
If you’re considering opening a Bank of America checking account, you probably want to know, “does Bank of America use ChexSystems?”
Where is Bank of America Headquarters
Bank of America headquarters is located in Charlotte, North Carolina at:
Bank of America Corporate Center
100 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28255
There are 6,302 Bank of America locations in the United States with California having the most Bank of America locations.
Does Bank of America have free checking?
Bank of America does not have free checking unless customers meet certain requirements like have at least one qualifying direct deposit of $250+ or maintain a $1,500 minimum daily balance or are enrolled in Preferred Rewards.
5 Best Banks That Don't Use ChexSystems
1. SoFi Bank Checking & Savings
The joint Checking and Savings Account at SoFi comes with no overdraft fee and no monthly fees. New members can earn a $25 welcome bonus by making an opening deposit of $50 using a debit card or by making an opening deposit of $10 by linking to an external bank account. Earn an additional bonus up to $250 by setting up a qualifying direct deposit from an employer, payroll, retirement pension, or benefits provider.
- Monthly fees: $0
- Minimum opening deposit: $100
- Interest earned with direct deposit: 4.50% APY on savings balances and 1.20% APY on checking balances
- Interest earned without direct deposit: 1.20% APY on all account balances in checking and savings
- Free ATMs: 55,000+ fee-free ATMs.
- Early paycheck: Get paid up to 2 days early with direct deposit.
- Free Overdraft: No-fee Overdraft Coverage with qualifying monthly direct deposit
- FDIC insured: Yes
2. Upgrade Rewards Checking Plus
The Upgrade Rewards Checking Plus is best for debit card spending. Customers get up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses for active accounts with a monthly $1,000 direct deposit 1 plus many features including the following:
- $0 Minimum Opening Deposit.
- Up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses for active accounts with monthly $1,000 direct deposit, and up to 1% cash back for other purchases2.
- Optional savings account that earns 5.07% APY3.
- Customers with direct deposit can get paid up to two days early4.
- No monthly fees, no overdraft fees5, and get reimbursed for ATM fees with an active account.
- FDIC-Insured Up to $250,000.
Upgrade is a financial technology company, not a bank. Checking and savings accounts provided by Cross River Bank, Member FDIC.
3. Consumers Credit Union
Consumers Credit Union is a credit union based in Illinois with membership open to anyone regardless of where they live or work. Financial products and services include checking, savings, CDs, personal, auto and mortgage loans, small business banking, investments and financial education. The monthly free checking account is called Rewards Checking with the following features:
- Unlimited reimbursement for any and all ATM fees**
- Over 30,000 ATMs & over 5,000 shared branches
- Online & mobile banking plus bill pay
- Get paid as much as two days early with early direct deposit**
- No monthly maintenance fees, for anything
4. Albert Banking
With Albert, there is no minimum deposit requirement to open an account. The Albert Genius feature analyzes your income and spending to find extra dollars to save automatically. All funds are insured up to $250,000 through federally backed FDIC protection. Albert will spot you up to a $250 cash advance with no credit check, interest or late fees.
- Monthly fees: $0
- Minimum deposit: $0
- Cashback: Earn cashback on gas, groceries, delivery, and more.
- Early direct deposit: Receive pay up to two days earlier with direct deposit
- More Albert Features: Save and invest right in the Albert banking app
- FDIC insured: Yes
Albert is not a bank. Banking services provided by Sutton Bank, Member FDIC
Go2bank provides a range of financial services, including a checking account, savings account, and debit card. Go2bank also offers various features like early access to paychecks, cashback rewards on certain purchases, and the ability to deposit checks remotely using your mobile device.
- Monthly fees: No monthly fees with eligible direct deposit, otherwise $5 per month¹
- Other fees: No hidden fees²
- Overdraft protection: Overdraft protection up to $200, with opt-in and eligible directs³
- Minimum deposit: $0
- Early paycheck: Get your pay up to 2 days early with direct deposit⁶
- ATM Access: Free nationwide ATM network⁷
- FDIC insured: Yes
More ChexSystems Resources
- Banks That Don’t Use ChexSystems – Take a look at our list of banks that do not use ChexSystems for a new checking account.
- EWS (Early Warning Services) – EWS is similar to ChexSystems and can prevent you from opening a checking account.
- Check your ChexSystems Report – Unsure what information exists in your ChexSystems report? Learn how to find out.
- ChexSystems Scores – Did you know that you have a ChexSystems score similar to a credit score? Find out how to get yours.
- How to Get Out of ChexSystems – Learn how to get out of ChexSystems in four simple steps.
- Account Abuse – Find out why ChexSystems often reports customers for account abuse with no real explanation of what that notation means.
- Second Chance Banking – Take control of your financial future with our list of the 10 best banks that offer second chance checking accounts.
1 Active Accounts with a monthly direct deposit of $1000 are eligible for additional benefits on Rewards Checking Plus such as additional cash back rewards, ATM fee reimbursement, and more. See the Active Account page for more information.
2 Rewards Checking Plus customers who set-up monthly direct deposits of $1,000 or more earn 2% cash back on common everyday expenses at convenience stores, drugstores, restaurants and bars – including deliveries – and gas stations, as well as recurring payments on utilities and monthly subscriptions including phone, cable, TV and other streaming services, and 1% cash back on all other debit card purchases. 2% cash back is limited to $500 in rewards per calendar year; after $500, customers earn 1% cash back on all eligible debit card purchases for the remainder of the year. Rewards Checking Plus accounts with less than $1,000 in monthly direct deposits 60 days after account opening will earn 1% cash back on common everyday expenses and 0.50% cash back on all other eligible debit card purchases. Some limitations apply. Please refer to the applicable Upgrade VISA® Debit Card Agreement and Disclosures for more information.
3 The 1.5% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) for the Performance Savings account is effective as of June 1, 2023. The APY for the Performance Savings account is variable and may change at any time. Active Accounts qualify for 5.07% APY with monthly $1000 direct deposit. The APY for Active Accounts is effective as of September 1, 2023, is variable, and may change at any time. Please refer to the applicable Cross River Bank Performance Savings Deposit Account Agreement and Truth in Savings Disclosure. To earn APY, you must open and fund a Performance Savings account. Rewards Checking Plus accounts do not earn APY.
4 Early direct deposit requires set up of recurring electronic direct deposit from your employer, payroll, or benefits provider and is limited to direct deposits under $5000. Early access to direct deposit funds depends on the timing in which we receive notice of impending direct deposit, which is generally up to two days before the scheduled deposit date.
5 There are no overdraft fees or annual fees associated with Rewards Checking Plus accounts. Rewards Checking Plus charges no ATM fees, but third-party institutions may charge you a fee if you use their ATM/network or if you use your Upgrade VISA® Debit Card internationally. For Active Accounts, Upgrade will rebate ATM fees charged by another institution for debit card withdrawals in the United States, up to five times per calendar month. To be eligible to receive third-party ATM fee rebates in any calendar month for eligible ATM withdrawals made during that month on a Rewards Checking Plus account, the account must be an Active Account in the prior calendar month. See the Active Account page for more information. As a courtesy to new customers, Upgrade will provide third-party ATM fee rebates for 60 days after account opening regardless of account user status. Some limitations apply. Please refer to the applicable Cross River Bank Checking Deposit Account Agreement and Upgrade VISA® Debit Card Agreement and Disclosures for more information.