Sample Debt Validation Letter
CITY, STATE & ZIP CODE
Sent U.S. Certified, Return Receipt Mail
Collection Agency Name
City & State & Zip
Re: (File Number) and (Creditor Name)
I hereby dispute your claim and request validation of the alleged debt pursuant to the Fair Credit Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Please provide competent documentation as follows:
- Provide a copy of my signature on a contract or document that holds me responsible for this alleged debt.
- Document evidencing your company has the right to collect the alleged debt.
- The total debt balance with an explanation of all interest and fees.
- Date the debt became delinquent and/or the date of the last payment.
- The name and address of the creditor and the creditor’s account number associated with the debt.
- The name and last known address of the debtor as it appeared in the creditor’s records before the assignment of the debt to your company.
- The names and addresses of all persons or entities other than your company to which the debt was assigned.
- Send me proof that you are licensed to collect debt in my state.
Cease any credit bureau reporting until the debt has been validated by me as required under the FCRA.
Lastly, I hereby request no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home, cellular phone, workplace phone, telephone numbers of my family and friends. All future communications MUST BE DONE IN WRITING as telephone calls are inconvenient.
*DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER, JUST PRINT YOUR NAME
(This letter is just a sample, you should modify it according to your specific issues).
*Your signature could very well end up on some bogus contract provided by the collection agency.