Our editorial team is independent and objective. To help support our review work, and to continue our ability to provide this content for free to our readers, we receive compensation from the companies that advertise on the CreditMashup site. This site does not include all companies or products available within the market.

We also include links to advertisers’ offers in some of our articles; these “affiliate links” may generate income for our site when you click on them. The compensation we receive from advertisers does not influence the recommendations or advice our editorial team provides in our articles or otherwise impact any of the editorial content.

While we work hard to provide accurate and up to date information that we think you will find relevant, CreditMashup does not and cannot guarantee that any information provided is complete and makes no representations or warranties in connection thereto, nor to the accuracy or applicability thereof. Here is a list of our partners who offer products that we have affiliate links for.

Should credit reports reflect $0 balance if you receive a 1099-C from lender

A debt forgiven by a lender with a 1099-C tax form can continue to cause damage to your credit reports if the balance does not reflect $0.
Debt written on a smudged blackboard, being crossed out

QUESTION: I have 3 credit cards that were reported as charge offs on my credit report in 2012. I recently called the creditors and each one stated that they’re no longer trying to collect the debt and they’ve submitted 1099-Cs to the IRS.

Each charge off is still showing a balance on my credit reports, which are making my credit utilization score high.

Can I dispute the balance of these charge off since 1099-Cs were submitted for them? Its seems to me that they should be reported as a zero balance on my credit report because the IRS is considering this to be income that I have to pay taxes on.

ANSWER: You are correct in your thinking. The very nature of a 1099-C is that it is a cancellation of debt according to the IRS. Whether the debt is cancelled, discharged or forgiven, the lender has forgiven the debt, therefore the balance should be $0.

I can only suggest that you dispute the debt with the credit bureaus and request they ZERO out the balances. A zero balance should help raise your credit scores. Supporting documentation such as a copy of the 1099-C form might be helpful to submit with the dispute. If the lender verifies the accuracy of the reported amounts, make a complaint directly with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

And, you should consult a tax professional if you have not paid the tax on the forgiven debt amount. A good tax professional should be able to assess whether you owe taxes on the forgiven debt because a 1099-C does not necessarily impose a tax obligation on you.


Explore More

Send Us A Message

Get In Touch

6080 Center Dr, 6th Fl
Los Angeles, CA 90045

© 2024 All Rights Reserved.