Chime banking services are provided by The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank, N.A., both are FDIC Members.
Chime is a Fintech company (Financial Technology) that employs modern technologies to provide automated financial services. Chime banking services offer free checking with no ChexSystems, a high-interest savings account plus a credit card that helps build credit.
Launched in 2013 as an alternative to traditional banks, Chime has an impressive 12 million US consumers according to a recent study from Cornerstone Advisors and StrategyCorps.
This in-depth Chime review of the mobile banking service can help you decide if Chime is right for you.
Chime banking services offer free checking with no ChexSystems, a high-interest savings account plus a credit card that helps build credit.
Chime Spending Account Features
1) No Monthly Fees or Minimums. The checking account is referred to as a “Spending Account”. Customers enjoy many of the same benefits offered by traditional banks with no overdraft fees, no minimum balance requirements, no foreign transaction fees, and no monthly service fees.
2) Early direct deposit. Customers with direct-deposited paychecks, government benefits, tax refund checks as well as government stimulus can get paid up to two days early with direct deposit ².
3) Chime Spot Me. Chime Spot Me provides overdraft protection up to $200 by allowing Chime customers to make debit card purchases that overdraw on their accounts with no overdraft fees. Chime’s website says, “limits start at $20 and can be increased up to $200 or more, based on factors such as account activity and history.”
4) Overdraft fees. There are no overdraft fees. Chime doesn’t allow customers to overdraft their accounts unless you have the Chime Spot Me feature enabled on your account that covers overdrafts up to $200.
6) Checking account for bad credit. Chime does not use ChexSystems to screen new accounts. Chime offers leniency for people with previous checking account problems or bad credit.
7) Check writing. Chime does not offer traditional checkbooks. However, if you need to mail a check, you can have one sent directly from the Chime mobile app by simply entering the payee. Chime will then mail the check for you.
8) FDIC-insured. Your money is always safe with Chime. All accounts held with Chime are FDIC insured for up to $250,000 per depositor, through The Bancorp Bank.
Chime Savings Account Features
Chime’s Savings Account currently earns 0.50% APY compared to the National Rate of 0.06% APY. There is a catch though, Chime’s spending and savings account are linked. That means you must have the Chime Spending Account in order to open the Chime Savings Account.
1) No minimum balance. Open a savings account with no minimum opening deposit and no minimum balance to maintain.
2) Two automatic savings options.
- Chime’s Save When You Spend tool rounds up purchases made with your Chime Visa Debit Card to the nearest dollar and transfers the extra amount to your savings account. The more you use your debit card, the more savings you can accumulate.
- Chime’s Save When You Get Paid feature automatically saves a pre-set percentage of your direct deposit and transfers the amount into your savings account.
3) High savings rate. 0.50% APY¹ — that’s 10x³ the national average.
Credit Builder Credit Card – No credit check credit card
Chime offers one of the easiest credit cards to get. Chime’s Credit Builder Secured Credit Card is one of the rare no credit check credit cards on the market. It’s a new way to build credit that can increase your credit score by an average of 30 points².
Here is How Chime’s Credit Builder Secured Card Works:
Customers must have a Chime Spending Account and have set up direct deposit with Chime.
Cardholders can add money from their Chime Spending Account to the Credit Builder account to spend on your Chime Visa Credit Card.
Chime reports payments to all three major credit bureaus.
The Credit Builder Secured Card charges a 0% APR.
No annual fee or interest.
No credit check to apply.
No minimum security deposit required³.
Cardholders have the option to turn on Safer Credit Building to have the balance automatically paid on time, every month. Learn more.
Chime Online Banking
If you’re wondering where is Chime bank located, Chime operates entirely online, there are no branch locations. Chime’s banking platform makes it easy to entirely manage accounts from your mobile device. In terms of money management apps, Chime’s banking app has earned a reputation of being one of the best.
Customers experience better online banking through Chime as the intuitively designed banking app was built by a tech company. All of your online banking can be managed on the go, with the ability to:
- Track your account balances, daily transactions, and savings from anywhere with the Chime mobile app.
- No need to log in just to check your balance with Chime. Using your banking app, turn on balance notifications and instant transaction alerts any time you use your Chime debit card.
- Send money instantly to friends using Pay Friends on our mobile banking app.
- Deposit checks, pay bills, and even grow your savings automatically.
Chime Mobile Check Deposit Time
Chime mobile check deposit time on verified checks drawn on a bank in the United States like certified checks, personal and business checks, state and local government checks is the next business day for the first $225.00 deposited after the deposit is processed.
Chime mobile check deposit time for U.S. Treasury Checks is next business-day availability for the first $5,225 deposited after the deposit is processed.
Eligibility for mobile check deposit feature is solely determined by Chime based on the history of any Chime-branded accounts you have, direct deposit history, and direct deposit amounts, and other risk-based factors.
*Please See Chime’s Deposit Account Agreement for funds availability policy and circumstances that may warrant longer check deposit delays.
Cash deposits to Chime
Chime customers can deposit cash to the Chime Spending Account at over 90,000 cash deposit partner retail locations like Walmart, Walgreens, and 7-Eleven. You can find a cash deposit partner on the Chime banking app. Here are the details:
- At the retail location, ask the cashier to make a deposit to your Chime Spending Account.
- Make up to 3 deposits every 24 hours.
- Add up to $1,000.00 every 24 hours for a maximum of $10,000.00 every month.
Fees can be imposed by the retail location so make sure you inquire before initiating a cash deposit transaction.
Chime Customer Service
You can contact Chime by phone, email, or you can message the Member Services team through the Chime mobile app. Customer support is available Monday through Saturday, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Central Time, and Sundays from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, excluding holidays.
Chime Bank Name
The Chime bank name can be confusing because Chime is not a bank, even though all Chime accounts are FDIC-insured. Chime is a financial online-only company that partners with two banks, The Bankcorp Bank and Stride Bank, to offer its free checking and savings accounts, debit cards, and ancillary banking services that support those products.
Chime Pros and Cons
- Top mobile app. Chime is known for its mobile app, which is rated 4.8 out of 5 stars at the App Store and 4.5 out of 5 at Google Play.
- When it comes to stimulus checks, Chime gets high marks in depositing their customer’s stimulus checks immediately.
- Access to more than 38,000 MoneyPass and Visa Plus Alliance fee-free ATMs.
- Automatic savings options help you boost your savings. Plus, the current rate is 0.50% APY
- Chime doesn’t review your ChexSystems history, so this is a great option if banks have denied opening a bank account for you.
- Customer service is available seven days a week.
- Earlier access to direct deposits.
- Only those with Chime Spending accounts can open a Chime savings account.
- Chime experienced major outages: Jul. 8, 2019, Sep. 15, 2019, and Oct. 15, 2019. These outages occurred a few years ago and it appears as though Chime has now resolved whatever caused those outages.
- There is no ability to open a joint account.
- No physical bank branches.
Does Chime have Zelle
The Chime debit card connects with Zelle. Chime customers must open the Zelle app to manually enter their debit card details because neither Chime nor Bankcorp pop-up as options on Zelle. Once Chime customers enter their debit card account information, Zelle will send a text with a verification code to confirm you’re all set up with Chime Zelle.
Chime Metal Card
Chime does not offer a metal debit card like Acorns and M1Finance, but they do offer a Secured Metal Visa Credit Card. The Chime Secured Visa Credit Card is simple to get. Simply opening the Chime Spending Account will qualify you for the 0% APR Secured Chime Metal Card.
Chime Sign Up Bonus
There are two ways to get a bank bonus from Chime:
- New customers that set up a qualifying direct deposit of $200+ by October 1, 2021, will earn a $25 bonus.
- Chime is also offering a referral bonus every time you refer someone new to Chime using your referral link, and they receive a single qualifying direct deposit of $200 or more! Your friend must enroll and complete a single direct deposit of $200.00 or more from their payroll provider within 45 days of opening their new account. If the terms are complete, both you and your friend will get $100 each!
Banks Like Chime
There are several online-only banks like Chime that offer free checking, a card like Chime that can be used at fee-free nationwide ATMs and are FDIC-insured.
Plus, if you’ve had past banking issues, there are several banks like Chime that offer second chance banking options.
Like Chime, Douugh Banking is an online-only digital checking account with no in-person banking locations. Customers can put their savings on automatic with stash jars that splits your money into different savings goals. Use dedicated virtual cards to pay for your bills and subscriptions directly out of your Bills Jar.
Douugh Checking Features:
- There are no monthly maintenance or service fees.
- Debit card and virtual debit cards.
- Access to fee-free cash withdrawals at 37,000+ MoneyPass ATMs.
- Automated money management with savings & wealth jar.
- Earn 2% cashback on purchases at approved merchants and $1 cashback on coffee. N.
- our bank deposits are FDIC insured up to $250,000.
Like Chime, Oxygen Banking offers early direct deposit and free ATMs. The free digital checking account can be managed totally online with digital and banking technology. Customers can earn cashback on everyday purchases made at certain merchants like Walmart and in categories like groceries, gas, and restaurants. You can, however, fund your account with cash ‘at 90,000+ stores, including CVS and Walgreens.
Oxygen Checking Features:
- There are no monthly maintenance or service fees.
- Debit card and virtual debit cards.
- Map of free ATMs nearby.
- Early Direct Deposit by up to two days.
- Earn 2% cashback on purchases at approved merchants and $1 cashback on coffee.
- FDIC Insured up to $250,000.s free.
Like Chime, CIT eChecking Account operates entirely online and has no monthly maintenance charges. Customers can earn 0.10% APY on balances under $25,000 and 0.25% APY on balances of $25,000 or more.
eChecking Account Features:
- $100 minimum opening deposit.
- No monthly maintenance charges.
- CIT Bank does not charge fees for using ATMs.
- Up to $30 per month in ATM fee rebates.
- Payments with Zelle, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay.
- Mobile check deposit.
1. Current – Banking for modern life
Current Premuim Account does not use ChexSytems or a credit report to open accounts. One unique feature Current offers is no-holds on debit card gas purchases. Some gas stations may apply a hold of up to $100 when you use a debit card. These holds lock the amount being held, making it unavailable for spending. The Current debit card will immediately refund the hold so that you don’t have available funds locked for days.
Current Premium Account Features
- No minimum balance.
- No overdraft fees when you overdraw by up to $100 with Overdrive™.
- Get your paycheck up to 2 days early with direct deposit.
- Earn points for unlimited cashback at participating retailers.
- Gas station holds immediately credited to your account.
- Send money instantly for free.
- 24/7 member support.
Lendingclub Bank does not use ChexSytems to open checking accounts. As a part of the application review process, LendingClub Bank will soft-pull a credit report from Equifax to verify your identity and review your banking history. The soft-pull does not affect your credit score.
Rewards Checking Account Features
- Rewards Checking is a free checking account with no monthly maintenance fee.
- Minimum amount to open account is $100.00 that can be funded with a debit card or a checking or savings account from another bank.
- Get rewarded for everyday purchases and earn 1.00% cash back with Rewards Checking every time you use your debit card.
- Get unlimited ATM fee rebates.
- Set up direct deposit into your account and you’re eligible to receive your money up to 2 days early.
- Earn more than the national average. Earn 0.10% APY on balances of $2,500–$99,999.99. Earn 0.15% APY on balances of $100,000 & up.
- Our US-based Customer Service is available by your channel of choice: chat, phone or email.
- Deposits are FDIC-insured up to the highest possible amount allowed: $250,000.
Like Chime, Axos Essential Checking Account offers paycheck early direct deposit and 100% mobile and online banking. Customers get unlimited ATM fee reimbursements.
Axos Essential Checking Account Features:
- $50 minimum opening deposit.
- No monthly maintenance charges.
- Unlimited ATM fee reimbursements.
- Early direct deposit.
- Referral bonus when you invite friends.
- 100% mobile and online banking.
Like Chime, OneUnited Bank’s U2 E-Checking Account offers a second chance checking account for people with a negative banking history. Customers get paid up to 2 days early with direct deposit and have several debit card design options.
U2 E-Checking Account Details:
- Minimum opening deposit of $50
- Get paid up to 2 days early with direct deposit
- Free Online, Mobile Banking & Free Bill Pay
- Obtain Cash, Surcharge Free at Over 30,000 ATMs Nationwide
- Deposit checks through the mobile app using Mobile Remote Deposit Capture
- Monthly service charge of $12.00 for checking
Final thoughts on Chime
Chime meets the banking needs of millions of people as one of the largest challenger banks. Chime provides banking services to consumers who want to avoid the costs and complications that sometimes come with traditional banks.